Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 06:12:31 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 07:59:29PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     /var/users vs /home is a discussable point, but none of the rest of
>     your posting makes any sense.  Network mounts have absolutely nothing
>     whatsoever to do with sysinstall's 'A'uto partitioning option and
>     the paper you site is interesting, but seriously out of date.

Sysinstalls job is not to configure network mounts, but it's also not
it's job to get in the way which it would in the /home case.

>     If I look up /var/users in google (which really treats them as two
>     separate words, but it's still a valid test)... I get 347 hits.  Total.
>     If I look up /usr/home I get around 46,500 hits, a quick perursal seems
>     to indicate that this test is reasonably valid.  Of course /home won't
>     work in google (you get 232 million results), but in relative terms
>     I would say that it's pretty conclusive that at least in so far as
>     the paper you are siting, very few people have actually partitioned
>     their machines with a /var/users.

I also bet you will get more linux and windows hits than freebsd.
And you also find hits for /usr/tmp, /usr/mail ...
What masses do isn't always an indicator of what is beeing right.
Yes - and I have /home too - it's my network shared home.

>     Not even freefall.freebsd.org uses /var/users.  It uses /<blah>/home
>     (/d/home, etc...)... essentially /home, so I would hardly call my
>     use of /home in sysinstall 'non standard'.

/home is pointing to a network shared home - right?
/var/users is local - if you have a local home.
That doesn't mean that you can't link them against if you don't see the
need to differenciate.

>     If we look at the 'adduser' perl script (/usr/src/usr.sbin/adduser),
>     which I did *NOT* write by the way, it presumes /home as the default.
>     So, again, it would seem that my choice of /home is fairly standard.

This is only a sign that it's already been diffused.
As long as you don't have local homes and network wide homes together
it doesn't matter - but I doubt that any serious administrator of a
multihost user architecture uses adduser.

Just an example:
You use /home on a single machine and later add another machine.
Now you may want a shared home for both machines.
But were do you mount it? /var/home? /net/home?
You can export your existing /home, but this is already filled
with stuff that may only be of local interest.
Users may have scripts or even binaries that won't work on the newer
machine.
There is realy a need for local homedirectories in addition
to network shared home directories - either you have security
issues not to put every data on the network or people do things
that they never need on other machines.
I've seen users beginning to create their own local homedirectories
in /var/tmp or /tmp just because they needed one.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de