Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:05:57 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: serial console + boot blip

In a message written on Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:23:22PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Setting nohup means that when I log out it won't hangup though,
> > right? I like that behavior, what I don't like is the hangup on
> > the switch from kernel mode to {single,multi}-user mode.
>
> You can't have your cake and eat it, too.  Pick one or the other. :)

Of course I can, I have the source!  :-)

What confuses me is I thought the hup/nohup was a function of the
shell exiting, but it seems to be a function of init/getty (which
is why it happens when init starts).

Even if it's a part of init, it looks like it would be relatively
simple to tell it not to send the hup the very first time, regardless
of the config which would fix my problem.

Is that an unreasonable behavior?  I want to make sure I'm going down
the right road, before I dig in code to patch/fix it. :-)

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org