Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:48:53 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Zoltan HERPAI <wigyori@2p.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Big Problem

--Q8BnQc91gJZX4vDc

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:47:37PM +0200, Zoltan HERPAI wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Brooks Davis wrote:
>=20
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:34:31PM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> > > Design a computer (probably multiple AMD 64's) to handle 10TB of memo=
ry
> > > (+ a few extra Gb of ram for system overhead) and hold the file in one
> > > physical computer system.
> > You would do well to read up on the techniques used by google to manage
> > unreliable systems and provide high-performance search.
> what about the tandem non-stop systems? it'll cost a pile of bucks.. but,
> i'm still unsure why a large cluster of oracle, or any specially designed
> rdbms wouldn't do the job.

By and large, I'm highly skeptical of "solutions" involving massives
amounts of very expensive hardware especialy when you toss software with
very expensive, per-cpu licenses.  I'm sure you could do it this way,
but given that 10TB of RAM will cost nearly $5M for commodity systems, I
hate to think what it would cost for high end systems where it is sold
at a 5-10x markup.

-- Brooks

--=20

--Q8BnQc91gJZX4vDc