Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:16:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        andrew@sedona.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tests

Michael Smith wrote:

> Andrew S. Clapp stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Anybody know where to find a benchmark package like dhry?
> > We are pitting solaris-x86 against freebsd!  :-)  Oughtta
> > be a interesting race as sunsoft says that 2.5 is "supposed"
> > to be competitive.
>
> Why would an operating system significantly bias a CPU speed benchmark?

	most CPU benchmarks are not CPU benchmarks--they are CPU and
	memory subsystem benchmarks.  the OS affects the benchmarks
	access to memory.  a benchmark tha shows this beautiully is
	Hint from ameslab.  the same taks is run repeatedly, each time
	with a larger set size.  the results are a graph of speed vs
	memory footprint.  most machines showhte size of on-chip cache,
	L2 cahce, memory size as steps in the graph.  each step lower
	than the previous one as the problem size access slower and slower
	resources.

	http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html

jmb
--