Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:38:28 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 21778428 of 7149744-7149745 ?

At 21:45 2002/01/18 +0000, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:10:27PM -0600, James McNaughton wrote:
> > Is this error:
> >  UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 21778428 of 7149744-7149745
> > something to worry about? What does it _really_ mean?
> >
> > TIA
>
>What it means is that there was corruption of data on the IDE bus.
>The actual data transfer uses a CRC checksum to detect data
>corruption, and it caught one while doing a transfer on your system.

If it's also saying something about dropping to PIO mode then...

I keep thinking this one ought to make the FAQ (if it hasn't already) as,
depending on the phrasing of search words, there's often about 2,000 hits
on deja with it.  9 times out of ten (two machines out of two in my case)
it can be fixed by simply replacing your IDE cable with shielded 80 pin ATA
100 IDE cable.  (Which can be found for around 3-6 dollars).

I thought that it was only FreeBSD that was so sensitive to it, but closer
looking at various Linux bootup dmesg showed that it was affecting Linux as
well.

>HTH

Scott Robbins