Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:26:14 -0400
From:      "Sin" <sinister@gmail.com>
To:        "Jon Theil Nielsen" <jontheil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba PDC with VPN access

Well,  Looks like I did get it connected.  But its very broken.  I'm =
trying to make it connect from Windows XP VPN client and the client =
talks to the server, but nothing comes of it.  ( You can see all the =
chatter in ppp.log )   However, if I tell my other FreeBSD machine to =
connect to the pptp server, it connects and a TCP link is created under =
the settings I specified.    Here's some usefull info:

server:

7.0-RELEASE

PPP Version 3.4.2

server IP:  10.0.0.2

/etc/inetd.conf

pptp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ppp ppp -direct ppp-in

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf:

ppp-in:
 set log All
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.1 10.0.4.2
 disable chap
 enable pap
 enable passwdauth

/etc/ppp/ppp.secret

sin sinspassword

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

pptp:
 add 10.0.1.0/24 HISADDR

Client machine (1):

6.3-RELEASE

PPP Version 3.4.2

Client IP: 10.0.0.1

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

vpn:
 set device 10.0.0.2:1723/tcp
 set authname sin
 set authkey sinspassword

and then I make the connection by using ppp interactly for testing.  =
"dial vpn " gets you the three capitals P's, then a simple ping test =
proves the link.

PPP ON router> show iface
tun1 (idx 9) <UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 has 1 address:
  inet 10.0.4.2 --> 10.0.4.1 netmask 0xffffffff

Client machine (2)

Windows XP sp3

Error 800 Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be =
unreachable, or security parameters may not be coinfigured properly for =
this connection.

- You can see the ppp.log file fill up while the XP machine tries to =
connect.   Something is missing here and I think i've been staring at =
this ppp man page way to long because i'm starting to think that this =
pptp server is not the same thing as the XP pptp server/client =
connection.

  You migth be right about trying (again) with ppp. I just didn't make =
it work in the first place. So I would surely like to hear if it is =
something you can do. And if so, I would like to have a look at your =
conf files.

  Best regards,
  Jon