Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 03:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Defective FreeBSD 2.2.1 CDROM ??

I recently became a subscriber to the FreeBSD release CDROMs.  I would
first like to thank you for the quick response time.  I received my
package three days after I placed the order.

But, I feel that I may have have a defective set of CD's.  I can read
most of the disk just fine - the installation of 2.2.1 over my previous
installation went flawlessly.  I can also read all of the XFree86 files
without error.  When I go for installing packages, well, that's where
the trouble begins.  Some of the packages are read and installed via
pkg_add without trouble, some cause multiple read errors.  For example,
ispell installed OK, but the lyx package caused lots of these:

matcd0: Illegal data mode for this track while reading block xxxxxxx

This is a repeatable error - I can always read the "good" files, and
always get the above error on the "bad" files.  Is it possible that
there was a bad pressing run on the CD's?

I'm using the Matshushita [CR563] CD drive attached to a (real) SB16
sound card.  I have never experienced any problems reading other CD's
(music or data) before using the Walnut Creek CD's.

Here's my order info:

Bryan Liesner
1736 Riverside Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19154
(215) 824-1556

I ordered the subscription package for $24.95

I would appreciate it if you could send me a replacement set of CD's -
I will gladly ship back the set that I have (if required) upon receipt
of the new set.

 ____
|  _ \
| |_) | |  | |_| | (_| | | | |     = Powered by FreeBSD =
             __/ |
            |___/