Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:22:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Incorrect wrap of quoted text.

On Saturday, 17 November 2001 at 21:43:23 -0500, Andrew C. Hornback wrote:
> On  Saturday, November 17, 2001 9:35 PM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>> Greg writes:
>>
>>> The disks are the obvious thing to look at, since
>>> seti@home keeps RAM busy as well.
>>
>> That also occurred to me.  Both memory and processor--especially
>> the latter--are well exercised by SETI, as far as I can tell.  So
>> the only thing that gets intermitted exercise is the disk.  SETI
>> doesn't seem to do a lot of disk I/O, except to take an occasional
>> checkpoint.  And then there is that mysterious coincidence of the
>> cron job running at the moment of failure.
>
> 	Just to be safe, I'd still seek some kind of diagnostic just
> to make sure.  Ruling something out before you've tested it can lead
> to nagging problems that "just can't happen"...

Diagnostics can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence.

>>> Now we're getting closer.  There were problems with IDE data
>>> corruption and the VT82C686B.  sos committed a fix to -CURRENT
>>> about 2 months ago:
>>
>> How can I tell if this fix is in my machine?  I installed from a
>> set of Wind River CDs, marked as FreeBSD 4.3 (without much
>> additional information), and dated April 2001.

It's not in there.

> 	I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that if you
> CVSupped to the newest version, it might include the fix.  I'd see
> what sos had to say about it though before doing anything.

No, as I said, it's only in -CURRENT.

>>> He doesn't appear to have MFCd to -STABLE.
>>
>> MFCd?
>
> 	Merged From CURRENT.  Basically, at the point that it's Merged From
> CURRENT, it's been tested and validated enough to put into the STABLE
> branch.

Precisely.  This is the indication that it's in -STABLE.  Things never
get moved to a -RELEASE branch, since it doesn't change.  After the
MFC, you could use the -STABLE branch.

> 	Your best bet, I believe, is going to be to talk with sos and
> see about getting the patch either MFC'd to the STABLE branch, or to
> get a copy of the patch yourself and apply it.

Correct.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.