Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:49:42 -0500
From:      Austin Shaw Hall <ash@vectorstar.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help Needed for Cd-Burning

On Friday 22 February Geoffrey Sanders wrote:
> Hello! I'm a newbie to FreeBSD(coming from somewhat of
> a Linux background) and have a need for help regarding
> cd-burning under freebsd.  I know many of the GPL'ed
> applications used to burn cds require scsi hardware.
> What is used under freebsd for ide cdrw's? Is there
> anything that builds out of the ports section that
> will work directly? I know that freebsd doesn't have
> scsi-emulation (at least from what I've been told to
> date). Therefore, what application can I use/have
> people had experience with on ide hardware? KonCD?
> gcombust? Any help or references to assist me would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A kernel patch for SCSI emulation can be found here:
        http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

If you have kernel source installed, apply the patch from /usr/src
(eg. cd /usr/src && patch < PATCHNAME.diff) and then rebuild your
kernel. You may have to uncomment an option in your kernel after you
apply the patch, I don't remember. But anyway, instructions for
building a FreeBSD kernel can be found in the handbook:
        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Once you have SCSI emulation you can use cdrdao and friends.
FWIW, the patch does work, I burned a DAO audio disc last night.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the above.

> Geoff

Austin
--
Art is either plagiarism or revolution.