Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 05:18:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Frank Wegmann <wegmann@linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't use 4GB 1024b/sec SCSI disk

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Frank Wegmann wrote:

> DETAILS:
> Originally I formatted it low-level with 1024 bytes per sector (for
> getting out some more MB) and used it in a NeXT machine as boot disk
> for years. Although it should--in theory--be possible to use it
> directly under FreeBSD, this doesn't work at all. Probing the devices
> (when invoking sysinstall) leads to:
>
> /kernel: dscheck(rda2): b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize
> 1024)

This seems to be a bug in sysinstall.  More precisely, in libdisk.  libdisk
uses lots of hard-coded 512's.  It doesn't even use DEV_BSIZE.  It only
uses d_secsize in the label in order to initialize it to 512.

> If formatting via sysinstall doesn't work, why not doing the old-fashioned
> way (according to 8.2.2 of the Handbook)? This is what I've got:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda2 bs=1k count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 1024 bytes transferred in 0.004346 secs (235618 bytes/sec)

The label is in the second sector, so you need a count of 2 to overwrite it.

> # disklabel -Brw da2 auto

"auto" is new-fashioned.

> disklabel: /boot/boot2 too large               <-- doh, try the other way:

This means that the number of sectors specified in the label (either
sectors/unit or the offset of the end of a partition) is too large
for the disk.  The number must be given in sector-sized units, not in
DEV_BSIZE units.  "disklabel -auto" is guaranteed to get this wrong
unless the device described by da2 (i.e., /dev/da2c) has the same size
as the whole disk, since it produces a label suitable for applying to
the whole disk.  However, it should get the units right.

> # disklabel /dev/rda2 | disklabel -BrR da2 /dev/stdin

This (when uncommented) gives the same result as "auto".  The output of
"disklabel /dev/rda2" must be edited if the device being labeled
(/dev/rda2c) is smaller than /dev/rda2.

Bruce