Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:10:25 +0000
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:20:52AM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
> I've always wondered what happened to the old BSD compiler. From what I
> understand, it falls under AT&T licensing.  But, you're right.  I believe
> a lot of universities (at least Penn State does) offer courses in
> "compiler design and implentation".  There ya go.  It's a good topic for a
> master's or PhD thesis, plus you could implement a new compiler to boot.

I assume most university compiler design courses are about the same:

We did a compiler course in our final year at Uni. It was supposed to
be a group project to write a simple pascal type compiler, I wrote the
entire thing myself, another team member did the documentation, and a
third one did nothing. It took ages, it got one of the highest marks
on the course.

In comparison to a real-world compiler, It was a complete load of junk.

Maybe as a PhD though, but it's not really new groundbreaking research in
computer science is it, sounds like a hard slog to me. Unless the PhD side
deals with register/memory type optimizations in some new and original way.

No doubt there's hundreds of people who subscribe to these lists who
think it's a remarkably simple job, and then they'll be those who
think it's hard but acheivable. I think it would, in reality require a
lot of very clued up people working closely together for an indefinite
period of time.

A bit like some folks who have been writing something called gcc for a
while now.

	Steve