Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:18:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: Headsup! KSE Nay-sayers speak up!

:I'm not fundamentally opposed to KSE: I would like to see it in the system
:as much as you, and am quite aware of the potential benefits.  I just want
:to make sure we don't go three years without a stable release to get
:there.  If the answer to the questions is either fine, or addressible,
:...
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Project
:robert@fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services

    I think if KSE goes in (in the next couple of weeks, on Julian's timeline
    with reasonable, but not excessive additional testing), I will personally
    be a much happier camper in regards to working on -current.  To me it will
    be a real turning point for the project -- the last 'big' piece of
    technology we promised ourselves we would get in.  And I have
    been and will continue to be available to help track down and work out
    bugs in that work, and in other work.

    The single biggest problem -current faces right now is in unwinding
    Giant.  It is an even larger problem then people think, I think.  Because
    Giant still surrounds nearly all the running code there are almost
    certainly dozens of bugs that will come out of the woodwork as Giant
    gets moved inward.  Hell, maybe I shouldn't be working on the VM system
    at all right now... maybe I should be working on mutexing data structures
    in order to move Giant inward.  e.g. filesystem and I/O paths.  The VM
    code is the hardest piece, it should probably be saved for last.  We
    are not going to truely be able to stabilize -current until Giant is
    mostly gone.

					-Matt