Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:40:15 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Andreas Persson <pap@garen.net>
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime() going backwards

Andreas Persson wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 08:21:18PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>>I explained this to you at Usenix, actually.  It has nothing to do with
>>APM, it has to do with the selection of clocks available with/without APM
>>compiled into the kernel - there is probably either a bug in the TSC
>>hardware on this CPU, or (more likely) a bug in the timecounter code
>>(since people see this on !APM systems already).
>
>Setting the sysctl kern.timecounter.method to 1 seems to have solved this
>on one of my 4.0-RELEASE boxes. No microuptime() messages for almost 3
>weeks now.

This didn't help me.  I have an Athlon 700 on an EPOX 7KXA.  I had apm
compiled in but disabled.  The microuptime messages made work impossible.

I tried kern.timecounter.method=1 but the problem continued as long as
kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254.  When I removed apm totally, FreeBSD
started using the CPU's TSC register (ie kern.timecounter.hardware=TSC)
and my problems went away.

Broken (chipset emulated) 8254 hardware?  Or broken time code?  I don't
know yet.

Stephen.