Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changes to the /etc/rc* boot system

[Please follow up on this discussion in -arch]

Gang,

	Several people are leaping into the fray with enthusiasm for this
project all of a sudden, which is a good thing. However, I'm a little
concerned that it's not getting enough of a "big picture" view. What may
seem like lack of progress at this point is actually an effort to do
several things before we proceed.

A) Examine what we have (most of us understand that pretty well)
B) Figure out what we need (in progress, nowhere near done yet)
C) Take a hard look at NetBSD's code to determine if it meets our needs
D) If we decide C) is "yes," figure out how to port/improve it

C is pretty much a given in most people's minds at this point. Whether
that is a good thing or not I'm not sure, but let's take that as a
starting point for now. Given that there will be no small effort in
porting their code to our system, and given that we already have the
cooperation of one of the NetBSD developers to help with D), I would like
to suggest that people bend their efforts away from trying to be the first
one to get some code into our tree and onto some of the more general
topics. Unfortunately, Luke from NetBSD is both very busy, and busier
still until after Usenix. He's asked us to hold off on this till then, and
I think that's reasonable. What I'd really like to focus on at this point
are three questions.

1. What needs to be done differently on our system than theirs?
2. What would we like to improve on in their current system?
3. How can we take the current code and make it easier to maintain
   across both platforms?

If we can have some good answers to those questions ready for after
usenix, then we can start off the "What would the NetBSD developers do
differently knowing what they know now?" conversation with some
intelligent points of our own.

Just a thought,

Doug
--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough.