Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:21:31 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2100S Raid 5 question

Doug Silver wrote:
> I have a RAID 5 setup using 4 Seagate 18Gb drives, one drive failed so I
> ordered another one but the model # was not exact, so it turned out that the
> capacity was less than 17522Mb that the others are at, so the raid will not
> rebuild.  The frustration of buying a "18Gb drive"!!  Is there anything I can
> do in the short term while I wait for the drive to be RMA'd and/or try to
> find that exact model?  I even tried sticking in a spare 36Gb IBM scsi, but
> that didn't work at all -- I would have been surprised if it had, but I was
> desperate ;)
>
> TIA

I'm surprised that the 36GB drive didn't work.  The controller should
have allowed you to rebuild on the the first 18GB portion of the drive
(leaving the remainder unused).  I'm no longer terribly familiar with
how the 2100S handles these cases; would it be possible to call
Adaptec Tech Support?  They are actually very knowledgable with those
controllers.

Scott