Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2013 01:03:49 -0800
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
To:        Neal Nelson <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi No Login

On 2013-01-31, at 12:46 AM, Neal Nelson <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net> =
wrote:

> On 2013-01-30 17:57 , Brett Wynkoop wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:42:40 +0100
>> Neal Nelson <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net> wrote:
>>=20
>>> HI.
>>>=20
>>> I'm able to build a bootable FreeBSD image using the beaglebone
>>> scripts, which I understand is the accepted way at the moment.
>>>=20
>>> The problem I have is that everything seems to be going nicely, but =
>>> never get a login prompt. The last thing I see, after the ssh key
>>> generation stuff, is a line showing the date, then nothing. This is
>>> true using Current as of today (2012-01-30).
>>=20
>> Greeting-
>>=20
>> It sounds like you do not have a getty running on the port you are
>> connecting to for the console.  I found out the hard way that it may
>> not be known as /dev/console.
>>=20
>> Try to boot single user.  If that works then do a tty to get the name
>> of the port and edit /etc/ttys to start a getty on that port when the
>> system goes multiuser.
>>=20
>> -Brett
>>=20
>=20
> I have no idea how to boot into single user mode on this thing as the =
boot process doesn't even pause and of course it's completely different =
to the usual process.
>=20
> I found the problem in the end: for some reason only one serial =
console was enabled in /etc/ttys. This seems pretty odd for the RPI =
since it has a nice shiny HDMI port and not easily accessible serial =
port, but there you go. Easily fixed. I just have to find a way to =
convince the build script to not do it next time.
>=20
> I have encountered three problems with the now nicely functional RPI:
>=20
> - Even though the ethernet is configured for DHCP, it is not correctly =
configured at boot time. I can later manually start it.

Make sure you have either  devd_enable=3D"YES" and  ifconfig_ue0=3D"DHCP" =
 or just ifconfig_ue0=3D"SYNCDHCP"

>=20
> - Sometimes keys are missed when I type them and sometimes they are =
repeated until I type something else. I haven't dared try any other USB =
peripherals yet.
>=20
> - Installing pkgng was entertaining, as of course the bootstrap failed =
since there is no package for this architecture, but building it from =
ports did work. The speed of this thing compiling takes me back to my =
VAX days in the 80's. I think I'll have to try and cross compile some =
packages.

There are some prebuilt packages you can reuse them: =
http://kernelnomicon.org/?p=3D261

>=20
> All in all I'm impressed that it's working at all on such a tiny =
computer. I could never have got very excited about it if I had to run =
Linux on it.