Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 22:46:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, kuehl@lgk.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FSF code & ownership

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> G. Adam Stanislav wrote,
> [snip]
> > He, too, got away with copyright, replacing it with copyleft: Anything a
> > programmer writes does not belong to its creator but to society at large.
> > Once a programmer releases code under GPL, he gives away all rights to it
> > for the ephemeric benefit of all. Even the original author is not permitted
> > to reuse his own code, except under GPL forever.
>
> Hmmm... I do not see how that can be true. The _original_ programmer,
> the orginial copyright holder, cannot use his own code anyway he would
> like? Sure, the copies of the code that are already out there are
> really 'out there' and cannot be retroactively un-GNUed, but I don't
> see how the original author is prevented from licensing a derivative
> work, or even an unmodified version, anyway he sees fit.

I think that for code to be accepted as "official FSF code" the right
of it must be signed over to the FSF.  Simply, you loose ownership of
the code.

I think if you look at some of the entries in various GNU code
contribution FAQs it will explain this.

http://www.fsf.org/prep/standards_4.html

---

Accepting Contributions

If the program you are working on is copyrighted by the Free Software
Foundation, then when someone else sends you a piece of code to
add to the program, we need legal papers to use it--just as we
asked you to sign papers initially. Each person who makes a nontrivial
contribution to a program must sign some sort of legal papers in
order for us to have clear title to the program; the main author
alone is not enough.

---

Or am I mistaken?

This is also why it's such a pain to contribute to FSF code, there's
a lot of paper work that must be completed for even small patches.

-Alfred