Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 21:41:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AXPpci33 <-> Sparc sun4c  serial cable

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Thomas Pornin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What I would like to do is connecting the serial ports of the Alpha
> and the Sparc machines so that I could control the Sparc console from
> a shell on the Alpha machine. I have two questions:
>
> ** What software should I use on the Alpha box ? I know there exists
> some program called "minicom", which has a FreeBSD port, that might
> be adequate. But is this the standard solution ?

Just use the terminal prog you feel most comfortable with,
minicom, kermit for example.

> ** What is the layout of the serial cable to use ? I suspect that there
> are non-standard serial ports on some Alpha machines for the following
> reason: I once had a Multia, which is basically a NoName board in a
> small box. That Multia could use a vt220 as console when no keyboard
> was connected. A simple null-modem cable worked (those cables sold as
> "doom-cable", with a DB9 and a DB25 at each end). I tried the same
> setting on my current Alpha machine, and it did not work.

The serial ports have standard pin layouts.
The only issue with suns is the fact the db25 is female.
Just make sure to use the correct speed settings
( normally 9600 8n1 without hardware accel ).

--
Sten Spans

  "What does one do with ones money,
   when there is no more empty rackspace ?"