Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:11:48 -0700
From:      A Rosina Bignall <bignall@aros.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

Hello -

I am trying to install FreeBSD for the first time on my machine.  I
have been using Linux for quite a while and other UNIX flavours for
longer than that, so I am quite familiar with UNIX.  However, I've run
into a problem installing FreeBSD.  I hope someone here can help me ;)

Here's the situation:

Hardware:  486 DX4-100 with 20Meg of RAM and two IDE drives.

I am trying to install FreeBSD on the second drive.  The first one has
DOS and a partial installation of Linux (in case I need to go back to
it because I can't get FreeBSD working ;).  The second one is
dedicated to FreeBSD and is about 540M in size. I am installing via FTP
over a PPP link to my ISP.

I've started the install three times at night or when I'll be gone for
the day and let it run through the night until I get up in the morning
to see how things are going.  Everything proceeds without problems,
that I can see, until it gets to the post-install configuration.
Specifically, the last time I tried a Novice install (before that I
had tried custom installs with the same problem) and the problem
occured when it got to the Samba setup.  It then hangs.  Bouncing over
to the TTY on F2 I found the following message and continuous beeping:

Debug: Unexpected signal 11 caught. That's bad!

I can exit the install by hitting Ctrl-C, but it leaves me without a
workable system.

I'm using the 2.1.7 release installation boot image.

I've tried to find some reference in the installation docs on the web
server, but without success.

What does this error mean and what can I do about it?  Where do I
proceed from here?

Two other quick questions:

When you boot the floppy and do the configuration, isn't it supposed
to save those settings for the next time you boot?  That was my
understanding at least, but each time I boot from it, I have to make
the changes again.

Also, is there a digest form of any of the mailing lists?  I'd like to
follow some of them if I'm to use FreeBSD, but I prefer digests for
high traffic lists.

Please respond directly to me, as I am not on this mailing list.

TIA

Rosina