Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:18:27 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert.a.chalmers@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   That age old question again

Not quite but close.
On the front page of FreeBSD.org, is the download links for
LATEST RELEASES
  a.. Production Release 7.0
Which I'm assuming is the latest, and commercially useable version.

Now I still find the situation of CURRENT, STABLE as they relate to RELEASE
slightly confusing, and no amount of description seems to clear it up.

Ok, I understand CURRENT is developmental, and becomes the next major
version as stated below. So the next major version is the one on the
website? Release 7.0 - or, 7.0-RELEASE ...yes/no?

Then 7.0-STABLE continues the work to be the bugfix/security blah blah tree.

The question I have is:  For the Production Release shown above -
7.0-RELEASE, what is the cvsup tag to keep this version updated ??

-CURRENT is the development tree that will eventually become the next major
version of FreeBSD. The developers try to keep this tree buildable, but they
can't guarantee that it will be usable. Tread lightly all those that dare
run this version. You must know what you are doing, understand how to debug
and rebuild, and be prepared for lost data. As I write, this is known as
7-CURRENT, which will one day become FreeBSD 7.0. The cvsup tag for CURRENT
is . (the period).