Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 03:27:44 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dutchman@spase.nl (Kees Jan Koster)
Subject:   Re: R.I.P.

> I was playing with a newly-installed old cdrom player when my system
> stopped dead in its tracks. Glancing over at the console I saw a flash
> of the following message:
>
>     <...> Illegal request <...>
>     syncing disks 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 giving up.
>     press any key to reboot...
>
> All this time the IDE drive led was lit, but there was no disk activity.
>
> The system is quite dead now. It won't boot from the IDE drive. If I try
> I get the message:
>
>     Error: C:0 H:0 S:0
>     Error: C:0 H:0 S:0

*OUCH*!

What kind of SCSI controller are you using?  This might help us to narrow
down the section of code that clearly blew some error check and ended up
doing Really Bad Things(tm) to your system.

I'm always sorry to hear about failure reports like this!  These are truly
the worst types of software failure in FreeBSD (at least until someone's
stupid enough to run his pacemaker from a daemon, anyway :-).

					Jordan