Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:30:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>
Cc:        freebsd-Arch <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Breaking up make.conf

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Jonathan Graehl wrote:

> I have a side question about the bsd.*.mk files: the documentation says that
> they cannot easily handle programs with sources in subdirectories;

It actually says almost the opposite: that they cannot easily handle
multiple programs in a single directory.  There should be subdirectories
somewhere to contain separate Makefiles.  Various somewhere's are used:
1) (best) in src/*bin (etc.).  The sources may be with the Makefiles (best)
   or in far-flung contrib dirs where they are harder to manage.
2) in subdirs of source directories in src/*bin (etc.).  E.g.,
   src/usr.sbin/mrouted.
3) in subdirs of non-source directories in src/*bin (etc.).  E.g.,
   src/gnu/usr.bin/cc.

> shouldn't the
> VPATH directive allow for this?  I recently (using GNU make; BSD make docs
> indicate support also) used VPATH to build two servers including common source
> from ../shared/ (but the generated objects were different because of -Ddefines
> and compiler flags, and were nicely generated and found in the build directory,
> since they could be referenced by "shared.o" rather than "../shared/shared.o"
> due to the VPATH directive).  Does BSD make support this behavior?  Could a
> Makefile including bsd.prog.mk make use of it?

VPATH and .PATH can be used to handle sources files all over the place.
VPATH is a style bug in BSD makefiles; use .PATH instead.  .PATH gives
more control, at least for the .PATH<suffix> form of it.

Bruce