Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:41:57 -0800
From:      bsmith <bsmith@atomz.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4-STABLE rsync Bad file descriptors

Hello,

I have several machines that are attempting to act as pairs by using rsync to
copy data from a master server onto a slave.  This is a new setup and was
being tested before roll-out.  Today however I happened to get these messages
from the rsync process:
readlink archive/members/00/00112c61/dumpeddmz: Bad file descriptor
readlink archive/members/00/00112c61/email.log: Bad file descriptor
readlink archive/members/00/00112c61/member.opt: Bad file descriptor

I have backups of these files so I took the machine off-line.  I fsck'd the
partition that these are on, and it gave several pages of messages akin to:
UNALLOCATED  I=1332073  OWNER=root MODE=0
SIZE=0 MTIME=Dec 31 16:00 1969
NAME=/service/data/archive/accounts/00/sp1001a2a7/index.sts

REMOVE? yes

and:

PARTIALLY ALLOCATED INODE I=1227386
CLEAR? yes

I've spent a great deal of time trying to google these and getting mostly
unanswered list questions and a plethora of bad socket code.  The bad part is
that fsck finished:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

So I booted the machine back up, only to get the errors on different files this
time.  These are new machines from rackable.com they have two:
ad0: 38166MB <ST340016A> [77545/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

I should also note that I've been able to write data to these disks in very
large quantities and read it back without any problem.  Matching md5 checksums
along the way.  There are also no kernel messages appearing about disk
failures etc.

I've included the files I thought would be helpful on a web page:
http://foo-sc.atomz.com:5508/freebsd/
The dmesg, kernel configuration and rsync output are there.  As I said, I've
tried google with numerous queries and found mostly nothing.  Any and all
advice is welcome.  Thank you for your time.

 -Ben Smith