Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:08:05 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject:   Re: setting CMOS clock

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:31:01AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 05), Christoph Kukulies said:
> > I'm using a cron job to synchronize time against a timeserver in a
> > local network. The timeserver is a NT box that has a DCF77 clock
> > attached.
> >
> > I chose rdate (/usr/ports/sysutils/rdate) to do the synchronisation.
> >
> > Does this also set the CMS clock correctly or what would I have to do
> > to set the cmos clock?
>
> The CMOS clock is automatically set whenever the system's time is
> updated.  You might want to think about installing NTPD on your NT

Ah, that's good to know. Under Linux Boxes which I had under my
command in the meantime (Redhat 6.1) an additional /sbin/clock -w
was necessary.

> machine and using NTP to synch instead.  rdate can only give you time
> to the nearest second, and according to
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-s-refclk.htm#AEN4231 , the
> DCF77 signal is accurate to ~3ms .  Precompiled ntpd binaries for NT
> are available at http://www.ntp.org/links.html

Thanks for the pointer. That's good to know.

What NT 4.0 Resource kit is supplying calls itself
TimeServ and offers time service on port 37 only.
And obviously the ntpdate client times out on given this as the server.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de