Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:46:39 +0100
From:      cillian@xiam.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/security -> /etc/periodic/security ?

> > why not even something like security_enable=[YES|NO] and
> > security_periode=[daily|weekly|monthly] defaulting to daily?

/etc/security is hard-wired in many respects to be run on a daily basis,
i.e. it does lots of 'today/yesterday' diff reports. Anyway, I think
security reports are important enough that you'd want to be informed
daily, at the very least.

> That's just what we need - a configuration option that lets the admin
> turn security off.  8)

:)

While we're on the subject of /etc/security, just a few
comments/suggestions..

For 'logfile' reports (login failures, kernel messages, refused
connections, etc.), I think we should use the 'logtail' program or
something similar. This could be run from cron on a frequent [i.e.
hourly] basis, coinciding with newsyslog.

This way, you don't have to wait for the daily security report to tell
you something's wrong, and it should also eliminate duplicated data in
reports as each report only shows the 'bad' messages since last run, as
opposed to all the bad messages currently in the respective logfiles.
[which is what it certainly does on 3.4, anyway]

Also, /var/log/kernel [syslog: kern.*] should be used in preference to
dmesg as the source of kernel messages, as there's no risk of losing
kernel messages that have disappeared from the system message buffer.

Better support for ipfw and ipf/ipmon would be nice, but I'd imagine
most people just roll-their-own, when it comes to firewall
scripts/status reports.

--
Cillian