Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:48:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speedingup the "worldstone"

Greetings,
	is there a FAQ on speeding up the worldstone benchmark?  I
have an old 486 DX2-66 that I'd like to get the most out of when it
comes to building the world, since it takes just about exactly 9 hours
(for cvs-cur CTM #2389)[*] to do a make world.  Are there some easy
things that I can do?  I have my source on a jaz drive (10ms seek
times for reads) and /usr/obj on a second drive (8.5ms Quantum) driven
by an UltraStor 34F controller.  The second drive is where /usr is
mounted from also.  Would I gain by a third drive that had /usr/obj on
it?  I have a 500M hard disk that I could use for this if it would be
a big (>20%) win.

I already have 32M of memory, so I'm not memory limited.  Are there
some options that would allow me to take advantage of this memory?  If
I run top while doing a make world, I see that gcc only uses about 20M
or so of memory.

Does anybody have a list of the typical bottle necks in this process?

I know I can solve this problem by getting a good P6/200 with 64M of
memory and a good Adaptech Ultra Wide PCI card and a fast wide scsi
disk.  But I don't have the $7500 (or even $5000) to do that just now
:-).

Since I only do a clean make world about once a month or so, this
isn't a huge deal.

[*] 9:01:32 was the time for this build.

Warner

P.S.  Is there some way I can win if I know the compiler hasn't
changed?  make depend all install seems faster, but still takes at
least 6 hr or so (it has been a while since I've done this since the
builds take long enough that overnight is the only way I can do them,
I opt for safety).

P.P.S.  If someone comes up with a clean way to include the CTM level
in the uname string, would there generally be support for including it
in the standard sources?  I have an idea I'd like to explore, but
don't want to waste my time if no one is keen on this idea....