Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:31:46 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apm -- possible to disable auto-suspend?

> I recently learned in a desperate, bleed the batteries dry session that my
> dual lithium ion battery configuration lasts *substantially* longer (1/2 +)
> than the point that the apm system starts auto-suspending my system.
>
> At the same time, I need my apm's features that ramp down the cpu and
> cutoff my floppy drive when they are unused.
>
> Is there any way to turn off the system's propensity to suspend my system,
> but retain other apm features?

This is a feature of your BIOS.  It may be that your "smart" battery
hasn't been calibrated correctly.  If you read the manual that came
with your system, it probably said that the first time you used it you
should take it from full charge to flat in a single session so that it
could work out what was what.

You can check this using the 'apm' command, which will tell you what
the BIOS thinks of the current battery state.

mike