Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:07:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Nathan Mace <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'find' question

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Nathan Mace wrote:

> is there a way to use find to print out a list of files and
> directories that are writable by a certain user?  for example if my
> user name was "nathan" and i wanted a list of every directory that i
> had rights to right to how would i run that command?  i read the find
> man page, and i think it's possible to do this, i just don't have any
> idea how.

have you tried the various examples?

	find / -name <USER> -print

that would print out anything by the one user.

> on a side note, if this is possible, can i use "locate" instead of
> find?

not in this way. please take a look at the locate(1) man page.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan