Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:46:52 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMAP problems

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 09:47:54AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > And I can confirm that the trash IS being written to disk; its definitely
> > there on stable storage when you go look for it later.
> >
> > The data which gets written is usually a block of zeros, but it may not be;
> > it can also be random trash.  Its also not always one block (it could be
> > more than one), but it IS always, at least from what I'm seeing here, a
> > multiple of 512 bytes (disk blocksize).
>
> The significant question in light of Garrett's description seem to be
> whether the trash that's written is actually being written by the
> process in error because that's what it got from a previous read, or
> whether the process is actually writing the right stuff and it's being
> corrupted on the way down.

Its relavent data (its not COMPLETE junk; rather, its pieces of another
article), so I would say its probably being written in error from a previous
read.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV