Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:38:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acceptable MBUF levels?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Kris Kirby wrote:

> I was just pondering recently as to what the acceptable levels of size and
> amount of mbufs in use are. I vaguely seem to recall that if you run out
> of mbufs, the machine will either panic or reboot. My reason for asking is
> simple:
>
> root:ninbox: {13} netstat -m
> 767/1152 mbufs in use:
>         509 mbufs allocated to data
>         258 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 503/846/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)

When people refer to mbufs, they refer to mbuf clusters, of which there's
a fixed number.  The kernel will allocate more mbufs as necessary.

The usual rule of thumb is that the peak should never exceed 75% of the
max mbufs in the system to allow for sufficient overhead in extreme
situations.  In this case you're at 80%, so you should probably recompile
your kernel and bump maxusers.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org