Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:45:41 -0700
From:      chemtechweb@psn.net
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIC on the motherboard

I'm looking at purchasing a Dell Dimension V computer for FreeBSD.
Most of the rest of the hardware seems pretty compatible enough to
work with all of FreeBSD, including XFree86.  The hardware I have
some doubts about are the NIC and the modem.  The NIC is on the
motherboard, and is an Intel 10/100 controller (I know that their
cards are generally well supported, but I don't know what happens
when it's onboard).  Also, since the rest of my local network is
10Mbps including the HUB, I'd run it strictly at 10.  The other piece
of hardware I'm unsure of is a 3Com USR v.90 modem (not a winmodem)
"for no sound".  All I need it for is to connect to my ISP.

If anyone knows of any pitfalls, or success stories, with either of
these two pieces of hardware, please let me know!

Also, I'm not subscribed to the list yet (will do it soon though,
just haven't found the time to set everything the way I want it...)
so please reply to all when answering :)

TIA

Manu