Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 06:04:04 -0500
From:      "Erik Funkenbusch" <erikf@visi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Staying current or stable with non-standard MTA

I'm using qmail for my MTA, and have been running this pretty well for about
2 years.

I have is that I have made several modifications to the system to accomodate
qmail, such as adding sendmail wrappers and remove /bin/mail.  The problem
is that ever time I cvsup and make world, these get replaced with newly
built copies of the original sendmail and /bin/mail.

Are there any other qmail users on the list that have solved this problem?
I currently have a script to replace these everytime I make world, but this
seems kludgy to me and would prefer a more elegant solution than the brute
force approach.

Any ideas?

As a side note, i'm wondering about the viability of a formal change in the
layout of the FreeBSD binary structure to make MTA's (and possibly other
common base tools) more modular, rather than forcing sendmail on everyone.

I realize that sendmail is the defacto standard, and there's lots of
software out there that assumes sendmail, however i'd just like a way to
have make world not clobber my modified base settings.  Hell, i'd be happy
with some kind of way to "turn off" individual programs from the compile and
install (then I can install my wrappers and not worry about them being
replaced).  Something akin to the cvsup configuration, perhaps.

Thanks for your input.