Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:28:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, <fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

CCs trimmed...

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >If NT and FreeBSD both support hinting of metadata writes, it's only a
> >matter of time before the hardware support appears.
>
> I have been looking for a long time for a PCI NVRAM card at a
> reasonable cost, anyone know of any with a reasonable price ?

How "non-volatile" do you want it to be?  I realize truly non-volatile
means "forever" (i.e. Flash EEPROM, MRAM, or similar).  However, a few
minutes/hours (battery-backed volatile RAM) might be enough?  The
relatively cheap Mylex AcceleRAID 170 we just recently purchased has a
"super-cap" (a very high-capacity capacitor, but not exactly a
battery) on it, which could theoretically supply power to the on-board
cache for at least a few minutes.  The documentation and spec sheets
for the board mention absolutely nothing about it, but its there.
The low-profile version of the board doesn't appear to have the
"super-cap", though.  I've also got an AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1200 at
home with the small Ni-Cad battery backup module, and it should be
able to keep the memory alive for at least a few hours.  I think all
of AMI's Enterprise level controllers offer that option.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org