Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:45:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        alexlh@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DIVERT or tun0?

> Hi,
>
> Can someone explain to what the difference is between the tunnel device
> and DIVERT sockets? And why we need them both?
>
> Thanks,

Is there anything similar between them ?

The tunnel device allows a user-land program to read and write
packets from and to a pseudo network interface.

A divert socket allows the redirection of packets from the kernel to
a user-level program and back - based on any firewall type criteria.

We *need* them both so that we can write smart user-level programs.
More than a few people would argue that neither are needed - they
just encourage hacking.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;