Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:19:16 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
Subject:   Re: hacking SCO....

Doug Russell wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, John Von Essen wrote:
>
> > Well, I eventually got this SCO system working. But today, some errors
> > appeared:
> >
> > 505k:unrecover error reading  SCSI disk on 0 Dev - 1/42
> > cha = 0 id = 0 1 on = 0
> > Block 6578
> > medium error unrecovered read  error
> > HTFS i/o failure occurred while  trying to upgrade 1 node 26302 on
> > HTFS.  Dev hd 1/42
> > Error log over flow block 6578  medium error unrecovered read error .
> >
> > Do these sound likes hardware errors for the drive or the adaptec card
>
> Drive errors.
> Did you do a new low-level format before you put it in service?
>
> sformat is your friend.

Try to use the "Verify" menu from the Adaptec BIOS. It finds and tries
to re-map the bad sectors (it tries to preserve data during this too,
unless the sector is completely unreadable).

> I do the full 14 pattern tests before I put a SCSI disk in service.

When a disk starts losing blocks like this, usually they only multiply
over time. The best thing you can do is replace the disk and
move the data before you lost more of it.

-SB