Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:01:07 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Unfurl <unfurl@dub.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Unfurl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 11:41:51AM -0500, spork@super-g.com wrote:
> > <stuff I agreed with snipped>
> >
> > > My only real surprise was some of the nicks in use.  I mean, comeon,
> > > "DrZiplok"??? :)
> >
> > spork@super-g.com?? Need I say more? hah :) (jk)
>
> Yeah, I know.  I am the all-purpose tool around here though ;)
>
> I just always pictured Mike Smith as driving along some Australian
> beachside in a nice sports car then going home to enjoy a fine glass of
> vino.  The nick just didn't jibe.  IRC is strange.

Heh.  I guess this is -chat, so I can build you a different picture:

 - In Australia, I did have a (relatively) nice sports car, and I did
   drive along the beach.  But I didn't drink worth mentioning there.

 -  But I live in Kalifornia now.  And I don't have a sports car
   (although I am trying to fix that).  And I drink nasty white wine
   out of a box these days, albeit still not very much.

I'd also suggest an altavista search for "Spaced Invaders" if you want
to understand where the nick came from.  It's actually even more
appropriate than you might think.  8)

(Although if you are thinking of little ziploc baggies full of white
 powder, you are *definitely* on the wrong track.)