Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 04:00:46 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: Crochet partition alignment

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 06:08:33PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Do you disagree with this commit?
>
> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/commit/3f4818b6ad668eb4a1d7a55bd1634719a18d7729
>
> If so, what do you propose here?

No sorry - no serious problem exists.
It was my fault - I took the wrong numbers.
You request 64k alignment for the UFS partition and that's what we get.
I added 118818 of the slice and 48128 for the partition.
This was adding two different things - first number is sector offset and
the later is byte offset.
In fact it is 118818 + 94, which is perfectly 64k aligned.
94 sectors is the smallest loss to get to the next 64k - perfect.
The msdosfs slice is unaligned but it isn't updated very often, so
it's probably Ok with that.
There is still that big 8M gap in front of the msdos slice, which I
can't explain with crochet.
You request an 63 Byte alignment for that slice - odd requirement IMHO,
but should be fullfilled starting with second 63 sector track.
But this would be just ~32k and not 8M.
Not that this 8M loss is important with nGbyte media, but still
unexpected.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de