Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 19:36:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, ktsin@acm.org, Yann Golanski <yann@kierun.org>
Subject:   Re: Ath0, netgear WG311T problem. [SOLVED]

> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 00:38:54 +0900
> From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
>
> --Multipart_Mon_May_15_00:38:53_2006-1
>
> Hi,

> > > monitoring software to give me signal strength and things like that.
> > > Any recommendations on either?
> >
> > ifconfig ath0 scan? :)
> > I see there is a gkrellm plugin in ports but I've never used it.
>
> oberman> The gkrellm plugin only works for a few devices at this time and ath is
> oberman> not one of them. It works for my old Prism 2.5 card, but not my new
> oberman> Atheros. :-{
>
> oberman> Maybe an interface to the 802.11 layer would make this plugin work for
> oberman> all modern wireless cards. I really prefer gkrellm to the standard Gnome
> oberman> monitoring tools.
>
> oberman> Looks like Hajimu UMEMOTO has done much of the FreeBSD work on this
> oberman> plugin. I cc'd him on this, but I have no idea if he has time or
> oberman> interest.
>
> Are you mean grekkmwireless2?  If so, please try the attached patch.
> If okay, I'll send it to the author.

Thanks! that was very fast.

It seems to work fine. My card seems to only report signal level and not
link quality or noise. Still, it's better than what I had yesterday and
I believe that it will report whatever is available to report for any
802.11 device. My Atheros seems to only provide signal quality.

Thank again! I suggest sending to Sjoerd to get it into the plugin.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)