Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 17:46:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'junk pointer' with inetd ...

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to garman@earthling.net:
> > and to those who believe that this bug is only caused when one is "near
> > swap capacity" -- the swapinfo above would refute that :)
>
> Another datapoint: I've seen the message "add more swap: 386 MB" on a
> machine with 192 MB RAM + 192 MB swap, swap being used at less than
> one MB (!).
>
> I was forced to restart inetd.

Has anyone thought that the problem is that when inetd incorrectly handles
a signal and then allocates memory, the memory it allocates could perhaps
cause a massive overcommit because of heap corruption?  The overcommit
wouldn't show up in swap until pages are faulted in, correct, but could
still cause problems on the box.  This sorta makes sense as inetd is run
as root.

So basically inetd's heap is messed up, and you also get a memory problem.

Is there any chance that this may be the problem?

Or am I wrong as usual? :/

Why can't inetd wrapper malloc so that it sends all signals to "generic"
handlers while it's twiddling the heap so that the signals are reposted
later.  Considering that signals don't carry and context delaying them
until a more safe time could work.

Anyone who feels obligated to shout "show me the diffs", welp, i'll look
into that when i can, if it will even make a difference.  I also don't see
a need for a pipe to handle context of signals. (in reference to the PR)

-Alfred