Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 12:37:09 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        dlhodge@netcom.com (Dave Hodge)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help. Attempting to load freebsd v2.1 on DeskPro XL 575

On Jan 10, 18:53, Dave Hodge wrote:
} Stefan,
}
} I received your address from Gary at of the Freebsd Project Team in Walnut
} Creek. Gary said that you may be able to help me via either a installation
} method that you had developed or kernal/bootdisk that will allow me to
} install Freebsd v2.1 to my Compaq DeskPro XL 575.

Ok. I will try to get you going ...

} I have tried using the instruction that are available at the WEB site
} "http://tci00.uibk.ac.at:80/xl/", but I was unsuccessful. It was like a
} "Catch 22" situation. The WEB instructions were all base on LINUX Slackware
} distributions and not FreeBSD. I was required to obtain a kernel and place
} it on a DOS bootable disk that contain some file that were capable of
} re-addressing the memory location of the PCI driver. Unfortuately you had to
} have the kernel first, which meant that your system had to be working:
} frustrating!

Hmmm, please give some information on what
you tried so far, to get FreeBSD installed.

The problem Linux has with that Compaq does
in no way affect FreeBSD. But Compaq has a
long tradition of doing things just slightly
different, and to break the rules. I've had
a lot of problems to get their non-compliant
PCI chip sets probed correctly by the kernel.

Please try to boot from the FreeBSD boot
floppy and enter "-v" at the "Boot: " prompt.

I'm interested in all numbers from the lines
starting with "pcibus_*" and "pci0*".

Then I'd like to know how it fails in the
end. The Compaq seems to use the AMD Combo
Ethernet and SCSI chip. This is a variant
of the NCR 5380 (not the 53c810 !), and
there is no direct driver support, currently.

I'll have to check, whether anybody had
success making it work under FreeBSD.

This chip will not be automatically probed,
but you may have success if you enter its
port address into the FreeBSD boot config
menu.

The Ethernet part of that chip is said to
work with the Lance driver (lnc0), and you
will have to enter some port and irq value
(which can be found by repeated reboots
with -v, a little inconvenient, I know).

Please send VERBOSE boot messages (write down
ALL numbers, if you have no other means of
saving the message log), and I'll tell you
how to proceed.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160