Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:51:25 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: on Softupdates and journalling

In the last episode (Nov 18), Edwin Groothuis said:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 03:23:25PM -0700, Charles Burns wrote:
> > Quick question: Why does a (my) FreeBSD installation on a drive
> > with Softupdates enabled still insist on doing an FS check after a
> > unclean reboot?
>
> I heard rumours that this will not be done anymore in the -CURRENT
> version. But honestly, if something goes wrong and my machine
> crashes, I would prefer it to do a tourough[sp?] self-check before it
> continues to work again.

Softupdates tries to ensure that the filesystem is internally
consistent at all times.  So if you create a directory, then create a
file in it, the blocks describing the directory get written out before
the blocks describing the file.  The only thing "wrong" with a
softupdates filesystem after a crash/reboot should be too many blocks
marked "used".  -current has an rc.conf option called backgound_fsck
that kicks fsck off in the background for all dirty softupdates-enabled
filesystems.  A full fsck is still run; it just lets you continue
working on the machine at the same time instead of making you wait 5-10
minutes for it to complete.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com