Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:16:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Ben Timby <ben@webexc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: Timeout table full when installing XFree86 - MORE INFO

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Ben Timby wrote:

> I booted to kernel.old, and XFree86 is installing without errors, here
> is a diff of my kernel config vs. GENERIC, can anyone see what might be
> causing my problem?
>
> < ident         GENERIC
> < maxusers      0
> ---
> > ident         MYKERNEL
> > maxusers      1

Do you really have maxusers set to 1 or was this line cut off? Setting
maxusers to 1 limits the total number of processes on your system to 36
(20+16*maxusers), most of which are taken up by the system itself.
Maxusers sets system tables to appropriate levels for your system and not
the number of users allowed to log in, so if you set it to 1 because you
are the only user on this machine that may be what's causing the error.
Unless you need heaps of user processes you can set it to 0 if you're
running 4.5 to let the system auto-tune it, pre-4.5 systems are
recommended to have this set to at least 4.