Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:29:54 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        jadeite <jadeite@light.pomona.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, jadeite wrote:

> what is the rule of thumb for configuring the sizes of the SWAP, /, and
> /var filesystems?
> what types of programs use the SWAP a lot?

For / and /var, the rule of thumb depends on what you do. For /, you can
probably get along with a couple of tens on MB. I usually put 20-40MB for /.

For /var, it depends. What goes in there is normally the mail spool, logs
from all your daemons and, if you have a news server, the news spool.
News can take multiple GBs for /var. For the rest, it depends mainly on
how much mail/logs you expect to have. If you have a web/ftp sites with
hundreds of thousands of hits aday and you log it all, it can also sum up
to handreds of MBs for a couple of weeks. Other then that there's very
little that goes in there, so a small personal workstation can get along
with ~16MB.

For swap, the main consumers are:
Netscape
gcc