Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:53:47 -0500
From:      erics@now.com (Eric Siegerman)
To:        tarkhil@synchroline.ru
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *huge* setuid diffs

Alexander B. Povolotsky wrote:

> <199811061258.HAA22049@easeway.com>mwlucas@exceptionet.com writes:
> >I just got /etc/security mail from two 2.2.6 servers I administer.  The
> >setuid diffs list every setuid program on the server as having been removed
> >and replaced.

One possibility is that *one* file's size changed by enough to
add or subtract a digit, which caused the two "ls -l" outputs to
have different spacing.  A simple "diff" would report all the
lines as having changed.

At some point, /etc/security got smart enough to ignore such
spurious differences.  But I can't recall whether this had
happened by 2.2.6.

> It is *QUITE* abnormal. I would not call it "exploit", but it is something to
> understand at once.

It may or may not be abnormal, and it's more or less likely to be
an intrusion -- both depending on your OS version; see above.  But
it's absolutely "something to understand at once"!

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics@now.com
|  |  /
The Rock & Roll Baby Theorem:
  Syllables(x+"baby") = Syllables("baby"+x) = Syllables(x) + 2
  SemanticContent(x+"baby") = SemanticContent("baby"+x) = SemanticContent(x)
	- Anonymous