Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 11:57:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: playing sound out of netscape

On Sun, 12 May 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get sound (and video) out of a WWW browser?
> E.g., netscape?

I have.  The browsers don't do that stuff internally, they farm it out.
First way I did it, someone told me it was sending stuff to a program
called "showaudio", so I wrote a showaudio that would cat whatever showed
up on it's command line or stdin to /dev/audio, and it worked fine.

Then, I realized that netscape, in it's .netscape directory, had a file
named mailcap that let me customize what netscape did with various data
types.  Now audio just gets catted directly to /dev/audio, postscript
files go to ghostview, etc.  You can control it directly for as many
types as you can handle on your machine.

Have you tried the new netscape 3 in ports?  If you install it and the
jdk stuff, then you can run java stuff directly, not thru Linux
netscape.  And netscape 3 is a real improvement, you'd be surprised.

> I started Navigator 2.0 (don't know if that one supports sound
> already) and then I clicked the speaker symbol in netscapes
> home page. All I got was flashing speakers and a fast looping
> 'document finished' or something in the lower left where
> the percentage loaded at x KB/s normally appears.
>
> I don't know though if that behaviour is a peculiarity of my ISDN
> connection when the connection gets lost after a timeout.
>

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.