Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:31:17 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH default protocol

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 08:17:29AM -0500, Krzysztof Parzyszek wrote:
> I noticed some time ago that in ssh_config, the Protocol field
> is now `1, 2' instead of `2, 1' as it used to be.
> Does anyone know why this has changed?

I don't believe it ever was '2,1' in -STABLE. Some people may be
misled by the fact that in the past there was a line like,

  #   Protocol 2,1

In /etc/ssh/ssh_config. Notice it is commented out. ssh(1) still used
protocol 1 by default. That is, the default was 'Protocol 1,2'.

Changing it in -STABLE is considered too disruptive. Just imagine the
flood of mail on this list if the change were to be made.