Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:25:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc:        bandix@looksharp.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, stevev@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: sendmail.mc

> > /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc is what you are looking to replace.
> >
> > If you don't want future cvsup's to quash your changes you'll want to do
> > a "chflags schg /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc" after you have copied
> > the new one into place.
>
> yucchhy!  [ but thanks ]
>
> is the assumption of the one-time build really that acceptable?
>
> randy

No, you're right, that would be unacceptable.

That's why cvsup includes the refuse file feature. :)

Create a file /usr/sup/refuse.  List what you don't want updated in
there.  Since I don't follow the foreign-language ports, mine
includes:

ports/chinese
ports/german
ports/japanese
ports/korean
ports/russian
ports/vietnamese

You can easily add

etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc

This way, you regenerate your sendmail.cf during "make world", using
your customized freebsd.mc file.

Of course, if your customized freebsd.mc file is incompatible with the
newest Sendmail that gets installed, make world can bomb.  Usual
caveats, warnings, blah blah blah.

The chflags solution has this same problem, though, and at least the
next FreeBSD admin to handle your box won't scratch his head wondering
why you did that. ;)

==ml