Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:39:59 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        drew@j51.com (Drew Morone)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Processes -will- -not- die!

Drew Morone stands accused of saying:

> For some reason, some of the user apps on my system will get hung, and
> won't die when somebody exits unceremoniously. I of course have to go in
> and kill the process, which proceeds to suck up all of the CPU. This
> seems to happen most with "pine" and "tin", but will happen with other
> software as well.

It's a bug in the applications, where they're not properly checking the
return value of the read() system call, and end up in an endless loop
trying to read input.  Are

> I thought of setting a trap to kill the processes when a hangup signal is
> sent, but that should really be happening anyway,  when someone gets
> disconnected.

If you check, you'll probably find that the applications already trap HUP.

> I'm running 2.1.0-RELEASE, on a P100 with 64Megs of RAM. If there's any
> other info I should include, please tell me.

Are you running with applications from the FreeBSD ports collection, or did
you build these guys yourself?  One would hope that there are patches for
these applications to fix this behaviour.

> |||   `_ _'            Drew Morone    |||    drew@j51.com          `_ _'  |||

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[