Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:06:04 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Much <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "s/stable/broken/g"

Peter Much wrote:
> And the party continues...
> When starting my usual environment, there is already the next pagefault
> kernel panic!
>
> Tracking it down... it's the "type" keyword in devfs rules. According
> to the manpage, support for this was _not_ withdrawn.
> But actually, entering something like
> 	devfs rule apply type tape WHATEVER
> crashes the system.

Software always has bugs, and it is a mistake to think that the "stable"
designation does not mean "has no bugs".  It's unfortunate that you have
hit a couple of them, but please continue to work through the process of
documenting them.

With regards to your ethernet problems, old cards like ed do not get
much testing thesedays because few people use them.  Combined with the
fact that ethernet problems are often specific to certain hardware
models or revisions, you may be the only person to have tried this
particular case in many years.  By the same token, these problems are
difficult to fix without a developer having access to the same problem
hardware.  You might consider offering to ship it to an interested
developer if one can be found.

Kris