Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:07:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        "F. Xavier Noria" <fxn@retemail.es>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, F. Xavier Noria wrote:

> Marco Radzinschi wrote:
>
> > This is not a function of the mailer daemon, but rather the mail client.
> > In Pine, or example, set the user-domain to mydomain.com.  You can do the
> > same for other clients, such as Outlook or Netscape messenger.
>
> I don't understand how this works. My laptop is called "conway" and
> mails sent by mail have "fxn@conway" as remitent. The only way I know
> to tell mail to use "fxn@retemail.es" is to use the sendmail flags at
> the end like this:
>
>     $ echo 'body' | mail -s 'subject' recipient@domain.com -f 'fxn@retemail.es'
>
> The man page suggests that is a flag for sendmail, so is there a
> more proper way to configure mail to use that address? What about
> the full name?
>
> -- fxn

	Set the full domain name in /etc/rc.conf using the hostname
variable.  For example, I have hostname="mail.radzinschi.com" in my
rc.conf file.  By default, sendmail will use this information as the
originating server, causing any e-mail sent out to have
marco@mail.radzinschi.com as the originating address.

I personally do not like the full server name as the originating address,
so I set the DM flag in /etc/sendmail.cf to read DMradzinschi.com

What I was saying in my previous post was that the mail client, and not
the mail transfer agent (such as sendmail) will ultimately specify the
originating address.  This is what you were doing with the argument passed
to the mail command.  If the mail client does not specify an originating
address, then the MTA will use the hostname variable, or information from
its configuration file.  However, if the mail client DOES have an
originating address or domain defined, it will override the MTA.  For
example, if in Pine or Outlook I define my originating address to be
"marco@abcdefghijk.com," then that will show up regardless of my sendmail
settings.

Perhaps there is some way to force the MTA to use its own information, but
I do not know how to do it. It should also be possible to use some sort
script to strip the originating address from a header and insert its own
into any outgoing messages, but again, I have no idea how to do this.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
AOL IM: CrackedBoy

Running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE i386
 9:05PM  up 9 days,  2:05, 2 users, load averages: 0.99, 0.98, 1.00